Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A Time for Reflection

I was driving this morning on a road that I haven't been on in at least 15 years.  When I was growing up and in college I drove this road numerous times, it was the route I used to go to college or to drop off my sister or brothers at school.  My family doesn't live near here anymore with the exception of my oldest brother who lives 20 some miles south but I'm not here to see him.  My life now is 1,000 miles away in Colorado but I have been pulled back for something that I don't really want to attend. 

Last week I got an e-mail on Monday (April 1st if you can believe it) that one of my college roommates, fraternity brother, fellow football player and most importantly my friend had died in his sleep while on vacation in Florida with his family.  I'm not sure I am past the shock from this even now.  Steve was always there, every wedding, every event whether it was important or not, he was there with a smile and his deep, raspy voice greeting everyone within earshot.  I'm at the age where this is too young to happen to people I grew up with and know.  Steve has a son in grade school, a wife, his parents and siblings living close by, everyone Steve met was most likely a friend within minutes of talking with him.  This is too soon to happen, he has so many more things to do.  He is supposed to see his son grow up, coach him playing football and wrestling and teach him what it takes to be a man.  It's not being the stereotypical jock but realizing it's okay to express sympathy, empathy and be emotional and do things with your heart, like Steve did, the same heart that gave out on him. 

We got notice of the service so I booked my flight and car and that is why I was driving on this road to attend something I didn't want to go to today.


2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. Too, too young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm not sure I made much sense last night when I wrote this but I'm glad people can get the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete