Sunday, April 13, 2014

Marathon #24 race week

6 more days until the Salt Lake City Marathon so I am in tapering mode.

In the last week these are a few things I do:
- My motto for this week is to take it easy as far as workouts.  I'll still run and lift most days leading up to Saturday but I'm not doing heavy weights, legs or sprinting.
- Anytime I can I'm wearing compression socks this week.
- Look at the course map several times and figure out my strategy for when to push the pace.  I look at the elevation map so I know where the hills are because I don't want to burn out on them.  This race isn't very hilly so it's not as big of a deal.
- Figure out how I'm getting to the start area.  This race starts in one area, finishes in another so I have to figure out how I'm getting to or from one of them. 
- Keep looking at the weather in Salt Lake City, it looks like it might get up into the 70's that day and very little chance of rain.
- Each day this week I eat an extra amount of complex carbs (oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, etc.) and I will probably have whole wheat pasta once this week.
- Drink more fluids this week and mix in another electrolyte each day.
- Figure out where I am eating the night before the race.  Usually the hotel I'm staying at has a runner's pasta bar or something.
- Schedule at least one appointment with my chiropractor this week to get adjusted.
- Try and get more sleep this week, I never get enough but a nap this afternoon is a good idea (plus it's snowing here!).

I feel pretty good heading into this race, I had some really good long runs in training so we will see what happens Saturday.




No comments:

Post a Comment