Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Slowest Race I've Ever Run

Everyone always writes blog posts about the fastest races they have done when everything has worked out well and they got a PR.  I decided to do a 180 and go over the slowest marathon I have ever done.  That race is the 2009 Boulder Marathon, here is the website: http://bouldermarathon.com/

A few notes about this race:
- I was getting back into marathons at this point and won a free entry to this race.  I decided to run the marathon (rather than the half) because I figured it was a good training run.

- I had no clue what the course or elevation was like because this is what they have as far as a description:
"For decades, runners and walkers in Boulder County have enjoyed the beautiful scenery found on the Boulder backroads. With views of rolling farmland to the east and the majestic rocky mountains to the west, running on the Boulder backroads is always a memorable experience. For the serious athlete, the backroads are the perfect running surface – fast to run on, yet forgiving on the body – much less pounding than pavement. "   
If you look on the website there is no course or elevation map.  The course changes slightly each year but the elevation map looks like a roller coaster because you have over 10 hills that go up and down at least 100+ feet.  Add in that the majority of this is on dirt and gravel roads and it is very hard on your feet and legs.  You also have to consider that dirt roads get rutted from prolonged use so you have to constantly watch out so you don't twist your ankle.  To top it off the start and finish is a third mile through an uneven grass field.

- The race that year started at 9 A.M. in early September.  In Colorado September is still summer so it was in the upper 80's, dry and windy that day.  In the years since then they have made the start earlier and and pushed it later in the year (this year it happens in October).

You combine all those factors and my lack of training and you end up with what I did that day: a 5:40 marathon.  By the end I was just pushing to finish because that is all I cared about.  It was so hot and dry that they were handing out full bottles of water to people at aid stations and telling us to take them with us.  They ran out of emergency vehicles to pick up people who were dropping that they ended up using pick up trucks to pick up runners who needed aid.  At one point I encountered a woman who was so disoriented that she asked for some of my water even though she had on a water bottle belt with a few full bottles!  I didn't feel normal for about a week after that and decided I wasn't going to come in that unprepared again.

I did go back the following year and ran the 1/2 marathon and then the full marathon in 2012 (and was an hour faster).  I wanted to prove to myself that I could run a better race when I was in condition for it.  This is still one of the tougher races to do, it's hard on your legs and feet and there is a reason they don't have an elevation map on the website.

So what is your slowest race?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment