Monday, March 24, 2014

Training by Intuition - riding the peaks and valleys

Due to the number of races I do I am always in a state of recovering from the last race or preparing for the next one.  Right now I am preparing for the next marathon  (Salt Lake City on 4/19).  Each week is different as far as training and there are high and low points, sometimes both in the same week.  Last week was a good example, I had a bad and good day.  I log my workouts on Daily Mile (Chris B.) so this is what I had for a bad and then a good day:

4/20: 4 mi It was a struggle today: Step machine warm up, lift legs, deadlift, core, easy run.
I woke up sore and debated in my head on which gym to lift at before deciding on one that has an Olympic lifting area with rubber weights.  This gym is always humid so I was sweating more than usual the whole time.  I did get done with my workout and run but wasn't feeling great the whole time. 


4/22:  Long looping run 22 mi
I started out in the dark because we are supposed to get rain or snow this morning. It was in the 20's the whole run, some wind in spots but overall not bad weather. I did various loops in order to have access to water along the way so the map of my route looks like I am lost. It's amazing what a difference a couple packets of GU along the way make because I was planning on doing 20 but I tacked a few more miles on.

A map of my route:

When I think back on the last week I try to think of why one day was tough even though it was a short workout while the longer one turned out great? I can't come up with a reason why because it isn't like I did anything that much different on the day before nutritionally or working out.  In fact on 4/22 I felt kind of tired and a bit sore in the morning before I got started. Once I got going the miles just flew by, it was cold enough that the trails I ran on had barely any people on them and very few cyclists.  I call these effortless workouts (some call it the runner's high but I can get them lifting weights too), you know you did something but it didn't seem hard even though it was.  I can't logically explain why these happen or how but I'm glad it did because that is what makes running fun.

Have you had an effortless workout or runners high in the last week?





No comments:

Post a Comment