Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Is "Bossy" an offensive word?

I saw this article on one of my news feeds this morning: http://mashable.com/2014/03/10/lean-in-bossy/

In summary: "
Sheryl Sandberg has long criticized the use the of the word "bossy" to describe young girls who are assertive. Instead, the Facebook COO has urged people to forgo the word with all its negative connotations, and instead describe these girls as "feminist" or displaying "executive leadership skills."
Now, Sandberg is helping spearhead a campaign to nix the word and encourage young women to become leaders."

Now I am not female but I have had numerous strong, female bosses throughout my career.  I really wonder what their thoughts would be on this because to me it is perplexing.  Are kids in general this fragile that the use of a word might damage their ego or alter their behavior?

No comments:

Post a Comment