Thursday, March 20, 2014

Nutrition and running

I have been running consistently for at least 20 years now and yet I still learn new things all the time.  I'm a firm believer that nutrition plays a key role for improving as a runner and staying injury free.  My nutrition plan is a bit different than many runners and it is shaped by being a former bodybuilder and that I still left weights.  I am not suggesting that anybody follows my plan because it is a bit different than most.

- I eat relatively clean most of the time and eat the same things many days (it's easier to shop and plan meals)
- Every meal needs protein and carbs
- I don't drink milk
- My staples: egg whites, oatmeal, granola, chicken, turkey, fish, rice, potatoes (sweet and regular), quinoa, whole wheat tortillas, salad and lots of veggies, bananas and certain fruits
- My snacks are nut mixes or Late July chips
- I try and eat red meat once a week (usually buffalo or some form of lean meat).
- I always have some protein powder each day (lately it has been MHP Paleo Protein)
- I take a variety of supplements and believe they really do help.
- I don't really concern myself with weighing myself.  I run every day and have a hard time keeping my weight and strength up these days.
- After I run a marathon my food reward is a piece of carrot cake ( I don't like chocolate so to me this is splurging).
- I drink beer but usually only 1-2 on the weekend.
- One of my new favorite products is Beyond Meat.  My wife is vegetarian so I am trying to get more plant based protein if I can.

Now some of these are different from what most people do so I should explain.  I used to be approximately 30-40 pounds heavier than I am now.  The last time I weighed myself I was almost 40 pounds less than what I weighed as a senior in high school. I was a lineman in football so I had to be big and strong but as I got older I just didn't want or need to be that big.  

Many of the people I know who have started running can't understand why they aren't losing weight.  Most of the time it is because they are eating substantially more.  Some don't even realize it while others rationalize that they ran x miles so they can eat anything. 

So what do other people think about nutrition in relation to running?

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I am trying to figure out how to follow your blog and I can't find anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading it. Due to the way this is set up with Blogger I can't link it to a Google+ account so it doesn't allow subscriptions. I am trying to figure a way to work around this so it can.

      Delete
  2. I figured it out and added the subscribe by e-mail gadget.

    ReplyDelete